Sunday, February 2, 2014

How I Ended Up In Northampton

After I came out in 2003, I decided that Mary and I needed to live somewhere other than Northern Virginia. I wanted to feel safe living my life as a Lesbian. I didn’t come out until I was 49 and this happened while I was living south of the Mason-Dixon line. Not good. Much of the gay community back then kept most of their social activities underground because there were many people in the surrounding communities who were not gay-friendly at all.

Mary had previously lived near Northampton and knew that it was an open-minded liberal community. And, it helped that approximately 60% of the population was made up of women. So I decided on my own that we would move to Northampton with our one dog, live in a ranch-style home with a washer and dryer on the main level, and, that I would be employed by Smith College. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that our house had to be located within a five-mile radius of the school. Well it took 22 months to accomplish my goals but I did.

Well, we live in tiny cute ranch with a washer and dryer on the main level. The house is 3.2 miles from Smith. And, I am now in my ninth year as a Smith employee. The one thing that did change is we now have three dogs and that was not in my original plan.

Back when I was going to the University of Nebraska as a nineteen year old, if someone had told me I would end up in Western Massachusetts with a woman who would become my wife and being ruled by three dogs, I would have thought they were crazy. 

Look for my next posting, coming Wednesday morning, February 5th. Until then, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment